Sunday, February 10, 2008

Just Finished "Heat"


So for my first post I want to tell you what has re-ignited my passion for cooking. I just finished reading "Heat" by Bill Bufford. It's a book about Bill Buford's transformation from a writer to a chef and his friend Mario Batali. The two coolest things I found in this book are what it is actually like to work as a chef in a high-class restaurant. It was really interesting to understand the business and social aspects. Now I know why my sister loves and hates (at times) her career as a chef.

The second cool thing in the book is Bill's time in Italy learning about real Italian cooking and the passion for ingredients. As a culture we have become so accustomed to junk we eat in mass produced supermarket food and chain restaurants. I've always loved to cook, but fell into a bit of a rut in the past few years. I had forgotten how easy it was and how much of a high a simple dinner preparation brings me.

So off to the kitchen, its time to cook. It may not always be complicated, it will be unique, it will be fresh and it will always be fun!

2 comments:

BrookZ said...

yeah for the food blog!! can't wait to read about all your creations! i have a recipe blog attached to abbey's baby blog- nothing too fancy there just recipes that i try out here and there. i am also the cook of the house and LOVE it. are you taking requests? i had polenta as a side dish at a wedding reception and have wanted to try it but i am looking for a great way to prepare it- any suggestions?! sorry we could not make dinner this weekend my husband was really bummed when i told him what was on the menu! we are feeling better and looking forward to March 1st!

Grampie said...

We loved Heat as well. We spent a week in Panzano, the home of the "Singing Butcher". His is such an ass. He dissed the Lamola Restuarant, which is #1 on our list of favorite places to eat.

Glad your having fun.

Dad